Cataclysm has brought on a lot of changes for rogues. Subtlety may again see the light of day as a PvE spec, Hunger for Blood is replaced by Vendetta, and weapon specializations taken away from Combat just to name a few changes. This post will help you determine what gear you will want to go after in the endgame, and what you should be looking for while leveling.
The first thing you want to keep in mind are what stats you are going to want for heroics and raiding. While this doesn’t matter much for questing, if you are leveling in dungeons or preparing to do heroics, you should start looking to build your set while you are leveling.
With reforging, you can move some of your gear’s stats around. It’s important to know what stats you are looking for and reforge the stats that aren’t very good for you into better ones.
For Combat, this is what you are looking at:
Agility >> Hit (pre yellow cap) >> Expertise (pre cap) > Haste > Hit > Crit > Mastery
Basically, agility is way better than everything else, hit is way better than other things until the yellow cap, then hit and haste are about equal, but both better than crit and mastery.
Your hit information can be obtained by going into your character stats sheet. At level 85, here are the caps assuming you picked up 3/3 precision:
- Yellow: 241 (2%)
- Spell: 1127 (11%)
- White: 2523 (21%)
Basically, hit rating is really good until the yellow cap, then its about as good as haste and expertise. It stays about that good up until the white hit cap, at which point it is useless. You won’t be anywhere near that number, so don’t worry about it too much. Expertise is capped at 781 for most races; if you have a racial that increases your expertise with your weapons (like Gnomes or Orcs), you are looking at 691.
A note on weapons: You are going to want a slow main hand and a fast offhand. The type of weapon doesn’t matter (unless you have a racial bonus), but the only fast offhands are daggers, so put a 1.4 speed dagger there.
Read on for the full list of gear you will want.
Assassination is looking at a similar list:
Agility>>Hit (yellow cap)>>Hit (spell cap)>Mastery>Haste>Expertise>Crit>Hit (white cap)
Assasination shares the expertise cap of 781/691, but hit is slightly different:
|3/3 Precision||241 (2%)||1127 (11%)||2523 (21%)|
|2/3 Precision||481 (4%)||1332 (13%)||2763 (23%)|
Put a 1.8 speed dagger in your main hand and a 1.4 in your off.
While leveling to 85, you might want to keep reputation rewards in mind. Here are the things you are going to be looking out for:
Guardians of Hyjal: Get this rep by questing in Hyjal or by wearing their tabard in level 84-85 dungeons. If you only do quests, you will only get up to revered.
- Honored: Sly Fox Jerkin – This vest is on par with drops from level 85 dungeons, has two sockets, and is easy to get at honored. You can wear this at level 83, too.
- Revered: Acorn of the Daughter Tree – This is on par with necklaces you will be getting in heroics and is a great combination of stats for Assassination. I’m not sure if its worth grinding to revered for, but if you are questing in Hyjal anyway, why not?
Earthen Ring: You get this from questing in Vashj’ir, Deepholm, and the Twilight Highlands, or by wearing their tabard in 84-85 dungeons.
- Revered: Softwind Cape – On par with other heroic capes, and identical to the one that drops in heroic Deadmines. This cape is the best available for Assassination Rogues at this item level.
- Exalted: Signet of the Elder Council – This ring is on par with raiding epics and perfect for Assassination. Combat may want to pass this up for heroic rings due to the mastery, but definitely pick it up regardless if you are getting close to exalted.
Therazane: The new “Sons of Hodir” rep, you’ll want this rep to get the best shoulder enchants available. You get this from doing some Deepholm quests, daily quests, and wearing the tabard in level 84-85 dungeons.
- Honored: Lesser Inscription of Shattered Crystal – This is much, much better than the Hodir enchant. You want this unquestionably.
- Revered: Terrath’s Signet of Balance – This is a beauty of a ring for Assassination rogues. Its the best stat combination possible, and its the same iLvl as heroic gear. Combat really doesn’t like the mastery, but its a great bonus regardless.
- Exalted – Greater Inscription of Shattered Crystal – The real reason you want Therazane rep. The only reason you wouldn’t want this is if you are a scribe and can do Swiftsteel Inscriptions.
Ramkahen: Quest in Uldum, do some dailies, or wear their tabard in dungeons.
Dragonmaw Clan/Wildhammer Clan: Quest in the Twilight Highlands, do some dailies, or wear their tabard in 84-85 dungeons.
- Honored – Leggings of the Impenitent/Swiftflight Leggings: Crit isn’t great, and haste is meh, but it’ll get you into heroics.
- Exalted – Stormbolt Gloves/Liar’s Handwraps – More crit/haste. Still, the best gloves you’ll see pre-raids if you reforge them.
While it all depends on your gear you have, I would work on factions in the following order:
- Therazane (unless you are a scribe, then skip it)
- Ramkahen to Revered
- Earthen Ring
- Guardians of Hyjal
Gear from dungeons comes in regular and heroic versions. The regular versions are of a level appropriate to the dungeon (eg, Throne of the Tides gear is good for level 80-82 players), but all of the heroic gear is of the same high quality (iLvl 342). As such, the recommendations are good for both regular and heroic, as the heroic versions have the same combination of stats, just in greater amounts.
Throne of the Tides (80-81 regular, 85 heroic):
- Commander Ulthok: Caridean Epaulettes (heroic) – These gloves have a delicious red socket. Combat will like these a bit more than Assassination.
- Lady Naz’jar: Lightning Whelk Axe (heroic) – Combat rogues get a decent axe. Throw it in your main hand.
- Neptulon’s Cache: Nautilus Ring (heroic) – boring haste/crit ring. There are better.
- Rom’ogg Bonecrusher: Skullcracker Ring (heroic): Assassination won’t mind the mastery, but Combat rogues will probably think this is the worst ring ever.
- Corla, Herald of Twilight: Grace of the Herald (heroic): The agility on this is wondrous, but the crit isn’t anything to be happy about. Its decent, but there are better.
- Ascendant Lord Obsidious: Twitching Shadows (heroic): Ew. Crit-haste.
- Beauty: Beauty’s Chew Toy (heroic): The hit rating is great. Combat rogues especially will like this.
- Karsh Steelbender: Steelbender’s Masterpiece (heroic): One of the best daggers for Assassination rogues. Put it on your main hand.
- Corborus: Key to the Endless Chamber (heroic): The best trinket you can get pre-raids for Assassination.
- Slabhide: Quicksilver Blade (heroic): One of the best offhand daggers. Reforge the haste into hit.
- Ozruk: Pendant of the Lifeless Grotto (heroic): Decent for Assassination, combat may want to look elsewhere.
- High Priestess Azil: Helm of Numberless Shadows (heroic): The hit on this is nice, as is the agility socket bonus. Reforge the crit and drop an agility/hit purple gem in there and its not half bad.
Lost City of the Tol’vir:
- General Husam: Kaleki Cloak (heroic): Every Assassination rogue’s dream.
- Lockmaw: Barim’s Main Gauche (heroic): Don’t let the name fool you. It goes in your offhand.
- Zone Drop: Mirage Ring: BoE zone drop, only in regular it seems.
Halls of Origination:
- Earthrager Ptah: Mouth of the Earth (heroic): Hit is good, reforge the expertise.
- Setesh: Hierglyphic Vest (heroic): Reforge the crit
- Temple Guardian Anhuur: Poison Fang Bracers (heroic): Pretty nice, haste isn’t as bad as alternates
- Isiset: Ring of Blinding Stars (heroic): Reforge the haste.
- Ammunae: Slashing Thorns (heroic): Thrown weapons are very rare. Run HoO just for this.
- Drahga Shadowsburner: Windwalker Blade (heroic): Take it if you need a MH Dagger, but there are better.
- Erudax: Vest of Misshapen Hides (heroic): Reforge the crit.
- General Umbriss: Skardyn’s Grace (heroic): Great trinket for Assassination.
- Forgemaster Throngus: Ring of Dun Algaz (heroic): Reforge the crit
- “Captain Cookie”:
- Helix Gearbreaker:
- Vanessa VanCleef: VanCleef’s Boots: Match the socket, reforge, and these are fantastic.
Heroic Shadowfang Keep:
- Lord Godfrey: Meteor Shard: Pretty sure every rogue wants this for the novelty.
- Baron Ashbury: Boots of the Predator: Reforge the crit
- Lord Walden: Double Dealing Bracers: Reforge all the crit!
- Commander Springvale: Thieving Spaulders: These shoulders are bad and should feel bad.