UPDATE: New Trailer Added To Post
The Old Republic was shown off as the last of ten games during Electronic Arts’ E3 presentation today. Here’s what we learned:
- Each player will get their own, customizable starship.
- PvP will feature massive battles in classic Star Wars battlegrounds (like Alderaan). Empire vs. Republic, Jedi vs. Sith.
- New trailer being shown, titled “Hope.”
- Republic soldiers ambush an Empire battalion in a forested area. Lead Sith beats the snot out of the Republic general with Force Lightning and attempts to cut his head off via lightsaber as humiliation.
- As one might predict, a fellow Jedi shows up to stop this from happening. Beautiful female warrior with a dual-bladed saber.
- The two fight for a bit, and the Jedi uses her Force powers to engage in a little “deforestation” as a distraction.
- Sith cuts the Jedi’s saber in two and attempts to stab her through the chest, but she uses her hand (and presumably the Force) to hold it off under great strain.
- The Republic general, having regained some of this strength, runs up and sets off a bomb in close proximity to the Sith, knocking them both back.
- The Jedi recovers, pushes him into a cliff and then hadoken’s the dude with a concentrated ball of Force, shattering both the Sith and the rock wall behind him.
- General stands up, generic message of hope, cue epic shot of the planet, ships entering from behind the screen in true Star Wars fashion, aaaaand logo.
- The trailer was, like the previous one, not gameplay.
Well, apparently that’s all we’re getting at this conference. Considering what exists of the gameplay out there, I’m not surprised they went with a pre-baked trailer instead. It’s hard to make an MMORPG looks really exciting in front of a large audience, anyway. Still, I would’ve hoped for more information on the content anyway, and the few details we got barely scratched the surface. An announcement of PvP, but no specifics?
Luckily, the game will be on the show floor tomorrow, and with iTZKooPA in attendance, we may be able to bring you more interesting footage in the coming days (assuming they allow footage to be taken of it, and he can make the time).