Kickstarter campaigns for ambitious, innovative and original gaming ideas – or just plain old resurrections of long-ago hits – have become quite the norm. It seems that every few weeks I’m directed to a Kickstarter post for another project. This week was no different as World of Midgard is looking to amass a modest sum $20,000 from pledgers to launch a multi-platform old-school MMORPG.
Few Kickstarters have featured MMORPGs, but that’s not what truly sets World of Midgard apart. Developer Veraxon Entertainment is targeting a very specific niche market, the hardcore gamers of yesteryear. Players of Ultima Online, Everquest and, to an extent, the early days of WoW should give WoM a look. In fact, anyone complaining about today’s adventures being “too easy” need to give the title serious consideration.
That shouldn’t be difficult as Veraxon is attempting to make the game multi-platform, including mobile devices, but single shard. You’ll be able to tackle World of Midgard on everything from Android and iOS to Linux, PC, Mac and even Ouya.
Hit the jump for the feature list and additional media.
World of Midgard is to include:
- A “full” 3D world inspired by Norse mythology
- Six playable races (Human, Elf, Dward, Orc, Dark Elf, Blood Drak)
- Five playable classes (Confessors, Fighter, Mage, Rogue, Templar) with a sixth (Ranger) planned for next year
- Two warring factions, the Alliance and the Fury
- Faction Battlegrounds
- Rated Arenas
- Solo & 5-man dungeons book ended by a 10-man raiding system
- Deep lore-driven world (check out the Lore Book sample)
If that sounds up your alley, then head over to Kickstarter and pledge for some exclusive items. At just over $1,000 with 42 days to go and only one backer at or above the $249 mark, WoM could certainly use your help.