16 October 2013
| | Patrick "iTZKooPA" Mulhern
Hi-Rez Studios has unleashed the latest SMITE patch and its focus is on playing dress up. Seriously, there are no actual patch notes, no new god, game mode or pair of shades for HiRezBart. It’s a notice that a new limited time skin has been patched into the MOBA for your purchasing pleasure. That skin is none other than Jack the Reaper – Pumpkin Thanatos.
The greek personification of death is looking good in his firey jack-o-lantern helm. The special holiday skin is available for purchase immediately but will disappear, at least for this year if not forever, on November 6. Grab one will you can.
In other news, you can sink some of that stored up Favor to purchase a Golden Vamana or Golden Isis.
19 September 2013
| | Mordil
Those of you in your later years (
iTZKooPa) may want to stay away from SMITE from here on out. Hi-Rez Studios released Thanatos, essentially the Grim Reaper. As he screeches from the skies upon those who have run out of time, he instantly sends them on their way to Hades.
Thanatos is easily the most scary god, literally. Hi-Rez made sure there were plenty of creepy audio cues to his abilities and it does its job of instilling fear. Sadly, due to his toolkit and tuning out of the box – he will never see the light of day in competitive play.
Things of note this patch:
- REGION LOCKING
- Competitive “matchmaking” has been slightly reworked, and the ability to get into a ranked match is harder. See below for more details.
- You can FINALLY sell Actives back provided you don’t use them or leave the Store pool.
- Aegis Amulet received a cooldown reduction.
- Lifesteal, Cooldown Reduction, and Critical Strike Chance all received buffs to their caps.
- Arachne received a decent rework of her abilities in the form of scaling.
- Odin became beastly with a decent buff to most of his abilities.
- Other gods received decent changes (Bastet, Bakasura, Ao Kuang, Ymir, other Alpha/Closed Beta gods)
After the cut, watch the God Reveal video for Thanatos. Then read the full dirty details on this interesting patch.
3 May 2013
| | Mordil
[Update: Hi-Rez deployed a bug patch today fixing some issues from Wednesday's patch. The new changes are in their own section just after yesterday's bug patch.]
[Update 2: Hi-Rez deployed another bug hot-fix patch today, along with a quick balance change to Fenrir's #2. You can find this section just after Fenrir's abilities]
Hi-Rez Studios felt the need to unleash Ragnarok upon the world, and so Fenrir has appeared to join his father, Loki, on the battlefield.
This god plays very akin to his father, but is substantially tankier than Loki. Build him as a bruiser, akin to Thor or Hercules, and you will have no problem devouring your enemies. He still has some need of being carried, so having a good support such as Ymir with you is a great idea.
After having a chance to play him, and try out all the little nuances such as the broken selection screen after the cut. In addition, you can watch Fenrir bring Ragnarok upon the world in his SMITE God Reveal video, along with the full patch notes, and the text version of his abilities. Continue Reading
17 April 2013
| | Mordil
**Update: Hi-Rez released the God Reveal video today, so you can find it below the cut now.
Hi-Rez Studios patched SMITE today, adding Ne Zha. This has been the first Chinese pantheon added since Guan Yu way back last summer during Closed Beta.
I quickly patched and headed into a Joust match against my wife as Anhur. We discovered that Ne Zha’s early game could potentially be very potent if played correctly, but his mid game is lacking. Without levels or items to negate other players, Ne Zha can easily be overtaken if abilities are missed. Anhur managed to kill me five times until I had the items to completely take him down.
Late game gets pretty crazy if you build movement and attack speed. Crits here and there will hit for anywhere between 300-600, with attacks being thrown out 2.5 times per second.
At any rate, here’s the list of things to note in this patch, according to me:
- Portal has had a major change from 1 use and indefinite lifetime to as many players every 2 seconds for a 30 second lifetime.
- Motivate has had a major change as well, from buffing the protections and health of nearby minions to the nearest 3 minions getting fully healed, and become fire minions.
- Cacodemon Ymir is released this patch. Anyone who is level 30 now, or hits level 30 before SMITE goes live will earn this skin.
- Twitch streaming integration is fully added to SMITE, allowing players to stream via the SMITE client without the need of a third party tool.
After the cut you can find Ne Zha’s abilities in text form, along with the rest of the patch notes. Hi-Rez
hasn’t has released the God Reveal video for Ne Zha yet , so when they do, we’ll update this post to include it. Check out the official reveal after the cut!
28 March 2013
| | Mordil
Hi-Rez Studios decided to take a break from love this patch, and moved into dedicating their lives to the beast of music. Apollo, God of Music, joins the Greek roster in SMITE.
Apollo’s skill set looks like a mixture between Neith, Thor, and Vamana. Rocking his ranged physical damage by shooting hand guns, this guy serenades, strums, and charges to victory.
Things to note in this patch:
- A new ability item is being added: Portal - Using this item creates a portal entrance at your spawning location and a portal exit at your ground target. A player standing on the portal entrance will teleport to the exit, consuming both the entrance and exit in the process. Cooldown – 180s
- Zeus gained more survivability as Aegis Shield now provides +20 more physical & magical protection at Rank 5.
- Bastet gained some more mobility functionality with her Pounce ability.
- Hide of Nemean Lion now reflects damage as magical damage, rather than physical damage.
After the jump, you can find Apollo’s God Reveal Video, text version of his abilities, and the patch notes. Continue Reading
14 February 2013
| | Mordil
Honestly, this week’s patch has been the first one I’ve been the most happy with since back in November.
Neith is one of the most balanced gods right at release – from what I’ve seen. She doesn’t do too much damage, and she’s about as easy to kill as other gods, even with all her utility. Focus is gone, with it’s somewhat clunky mechanic that was changed almost 3 times before being removed.
Along with Focus being removed, every god had a pass through by the designers to re-assign static values for stuns, slows, damage, speed increases, etc. that used to be scaled by Focus. The lengthy list is below, along with Neith’s God Reveal video, her abilities, and the generic balance changes.
Things of note to me were:
- Hel’s abilities share half the CD time in both stances now (Her 1 in Healing Stance is used, both her Healing Stance and Damage Stance go on CD, with Damage Stance only being on CD for 1/2 the time)
- Hercules’ “Earthbreaker” (knockback) ability had the length of its range reduced by about 10ft.
- New Solo Practice Map for Arena: Ymir, Artemis, Ra, vs. Ymir, Artemis, and whomever you choose.
- Advanced Tooltips have been added for abilities now.
- and again, Focus has been removed.
Check out Neith’s reveal after the jump!
10 January 2013
| | Mordil
SMITE patched to include the Ladies’ Man, Hercules, yesterday. The update brought mostly balance changes with the new god. Some of them I felt were unnecessary, but we’ll see as time goes on if the changes are for the better or worse.
Things of note are Bakasura’s changes to his eating ability, giving him movement speed on kills as a passive, and not his eating ability; and the eating ability gaining a buff to its healing. Again. Freya no longer receives a 50% damage reduction when both Pulse (#1) and Irradiate (#2) are active at the same time, and Kali’s Frenzy ability now breaks CC.
New God: HERCULES!
- Strength From Pain (Passive): As Hercules takes damage, he gains 20 (+2 * your level) physical power based on a percentage of his missing health.
- Driving Strike: Hercules delivers a mighty strike, driving all enemies back and stunning them for .8/.9/1/1.1/1.2s if Hercules is at or below 50% health, increasing with Focus up to 1.7s. Anyone hit by the blow takes 80/130/180/230/280 (+60% of your physical power) physical damage. Cost – 60/65/70/75/80 mana. Cooldown – 14s.
- Earthbreaker: Hercules smashes the ground, sending a shockwave forward that does 60/110/160/210/260 (+50% of your physical power) physical damage to all enemies. Enemies at the end of the shockwave are thrown into the air towards Hercules. Cost – 70/75/80/85/90 mana. Cooldown – 15s.
- Mitigate Wounds: When Hercules activates this ability, 30/55/80/105/130% (+1% for every 2% health missing) of the damage taken in the next 4 seconds is returned to him as health over the next 10 seconds. Cost – 60/65/70/75/80 mana. Cooldown – 12s.
- Excavate: Hercules rips a huge boulder from the ground. Throwing the boulder does 200/300/400/500/600 (+100% of your physical power) physical damage and knocks back all enemies where the boulder lands. The boulder continues rolling, doing 50% damage to all enemies in its path. Subsequent hits on the same enemy do 50% less damage per hit. Cost – 100 mana. Cooldown – 90s.
Note: Hercules will be 11,000 favor for the first approximately 2 weeks after launch, then drop to 5,500 favor. The gem price is not expected to change in the near term. Continue Reading
27 September 2012
| | Mordil
Today, HiRez released a new patch for SMITE to keep the development rolling. Today’s update brings important-to-note changes to the Minotaur, such as increased damage done while defensive structures are still up.
Here’s the list of changes directly from the developer team:
- Players may now view their recent match history and other statistics in-game from the Profile menu. This is a VERY EARLY version of the player profile functionality. Additional functionality and refinements will be coming in future releases.
- New “God Killed God” accolades have been added when a player is killed.
- Several cleanups and fixes have been made to the Joust gamemode, including:
- Proper character cards on the loading screen.
- The ability for Joust matches to be spectated (for those with access to the spectate functionality).
- Ability to chat with your opponent in game.
- If you disconnect from the match, you can now reconnect.
- Buff camps have been adjusted to be more balanced.
- Gods may not be rented if you are playing in a Ranked match.
- For the first approx. one to two weeks after their release, new gods will not be rentable in Normal matches, and they will not be playable in Ranked matches.
- There have been a variety of updates to the spectator mode.
- Fixed issue with watch tutorial popping up multiple times. Continue Reading