Final Fantasy XIV has a release date: September 30th in all regions. Strangely, it seems that the Collector’s Edition will be available 8 days prior, on September 22nd. The PS3 version will be available next spring.
The Collector’s Edition will cost $75 in the US, compared to the $50 price tag. Players will be able to play 8 days sooner than players who buy the regular edition, and the CE also comes with the following goodies (translated):
- EARLY ACCESS – Play eight days prior to the release of the Standard Edition.
- BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD – Get an insider look at the making of Final Fantasy XIV.
- SECURITY TOKEN – A Final Fantasy XIV branded Security Token used with your regular password.
- TRAVEL JOURNAL – Record your travels in this beautifully bound journal with never-before-seen concept art.
- RIGHT OF PASSAGE – Redeem a voucher to receive your fully personalized right of passage certificate
- FREE GAMEPLAY – Free gameplay for 30 days.
- BUDDY PASS – Invite a friend to play free for a limited time.
Let’s break down all the pre-order and other special bonuses.
- If you pre-order the regular game, you get the “Garlpnd Goggles” as an in-game item. They look super-stylish and “increase the speed of skill progression.”
- If you pre-order the Collector’s Edition, you get the “Onion Helm” as an in-game item. It looks super-stupid and “quickens recovery following KO.”
- If you played FFXIII and have the Campaign Code from the game, you can enter it and receive the Asura Armguards, which “increase weapon and tool affinity”
With a $12.99 monthly fee, the CE is about $12 more than buying the regular edition and a month to replace the one you would have gotten with the CE. I’m extremely hesitant about the in-game bonuses for buying real products. In WoW, all of the rewards for paying are vanity rewards. These items have actual value in the game – players who don’t pre-order will be at a disadvantage to players who order the game in advance (so you should go pre-order the regular game or CE right now). Also, it seems strange that the regular version pre-orders get an item that doesn’t come with the CE pre-order – will hardcore players buy both? The whole set-up is very strange.
Which are you going to pre-order?