Yesterday, Halloween, Disney decided to launch its’ new MMO Pirates of the Caribbean Online. Now, normally, we wouldn’t report on a Disney MMO. Most of their games are way too focused on the kid-aspect of the community, and really we don’t particularly care for games like ToonTown. However, seeing as pirates are awesome, and Pirates of the Burning Sea was recently delayed (again) until next year (Q1 2008) we are forced to get our fill of pirates at another location, Pirates of the Caribbean Online.
It’s not all bad, though, the game does have some neat features. The neatest of which is that it is completely free to download and play. Seriously, you can head over to their website now (here) and download and play the game with no strings attached. Some other neat-ish features include:
- Getting your own pirate ship.
- Ability to go on land and search for treasure on islands and such. No sea-locked pirates here.
- Different weapons and skills for both your ship and character.
- A neat “Become a Legend” feature that allows you to become famous, apparently. . .
- Voodoo magic! Need I say more?
- Gambling. . . are we really trying to teach kids how to gamble?
As you can see it’s definitely not lacking anything that you’d expect to find in a P2P MMORPG, which is definitely a good thing. However, because it is running off Disney’s ToonTown engine the graphics aren’t really all that great. Actually, they are pretty horrible by today’s standards. Still, a good Free2Play game is always rare and this one looks like it could be one of those gems.