A paladin was my first character in World of Warcraft. Kershocker the Holy Paladin. I know what you’re thinking: “LOL u leveled as holy, noob l2p.” I admit it, I was definitely a noob [Proof], but one day, while spamming Holy Shock and Exorcism, I decided to learn how to play my class. Boom! Retribution Paladin!
When it comes to DPS, I’ve always loved the Melee classes. Inflicting as much damage while standing right in the middle of all the action is good times. When you want to gear a Plate DPS class, all of them share one thing in common: Strength. That’s why it’s quite simple to identify an upgrade, if it has more Strength than your current item, it’s probably an upgrade. Still, there are a few other stats you need to consider if you wish to maximize your DPS. I’ll try to make a priority stat list for every single Plate DPS class and it will be followed by gear you can and should get before stepping into heroics.
Retribution Paladin: Strength > Hit Cap = Expertise Cap > Mastery > Critical Strike > Haste
Dual Wield Frost DK: Strength > Hit Cap = Expertise Cap > Mastery > Critical Strike > Haste
2-H Frost DK: Strength > Hit Cap = Expertise Cap = Haste > Mastery > Critical Strike
Unholy DK: Strength > Hit Cap > Haste > Mastery > Expertise Cap > Critical Strike
Fury Warrior: Strength > Hit Cap = Expertise Cap> Critical Strike > Mastery > Haste
Arms Warrior: Strength > Hit Cap = Expertise Cap > Critical Strike = Mastery > Haste
Now on to the gear.
- Helm of Easeful Death – 2200 Justice Points
- Redsteel Helm – Blacksmithing
- Pauldrons of the High Requiem – 1650 Justice Points
- Gift of Nadun – Exalted with Ramkahen
- Seedling Pod – Halls of Origination: Ammunae
- Elementium Deathplate – Blacksmithing
- Breastplate of Raging Fury – 2200 Justice Points
- The Redsteel Breastplate – Blacksmithing
- Breastplate of the Risen Land – Halls of Origination: Earthrager Ptah
- Shroud of the Dead – Honored with Ramkahen
- Cloak of the Red Flight – Quest: Battle of Life and Death
- Geordan’s Cloak – Lost City of Tol’Vir: Siamat
- Gryphon Talon Gauntlets / Gauntlets of Rattling Bones – Revered with Wildhammer Clan / Dragonmaw Clan
- Reaping Gauntlets – 1650 Justice Points
- Endwyn’s Flickering Gauntlets – Random World Drop
- Terborous’s Rotating Bands – Deepholm’s Rare Spawn: Terborous
- Alpha Bracers – Halls of Origination: Anraphet
- Belt of The Ferocious Wolf – Exalted with Guardians oh Hyjal
- Elementium Girdle of Pain – Blacksmithing
- Beech Green Belt – 1650 Justice Points
- Belt of the Forgemaster – Grim Batol: Forgemaster Throngus
- Greaves of Gallantry – 2200 Justice Points
- Woe Breeder’s Boots – BoE Valor Boots [They are going for 6.5k – 7k]
- Waywatcher’s Boots – Revered with Guardians of Hyjal
- Greaves of Wu the Elder – Lost City of Tol’vir: Zone Drop
- Treads of Terror – Quest: Skullcrusher the Mountain [Really, no Jonathan Coulton fans?]
- Circle of Bone – Grim Batol: Erudax
- Nova Band – Halls of Origination: Isiset
- Ring of Darkest Day – Lost City of Tol’vir : High Prophet Barim
- Galrond’s Band – Honored with Guardians of Hyjal
- Impatience of Youth – Exalted with Tol Barad Faction
- Darkmoon Card: Hurricane – 13k-ish Gold on the AH
- Volatile Alchemist Stone – Alchemists only
- Heart of Solace – Lost City of Tol’vir: Lockmaw
- Bloodthirsty Gladiator’s Relic of Conquest – PvP… eek!
- Notched Jawbone – Inscription
- Crossfire Carbine – Random World Drop… or the Auction House if you are richer than God.
- Zin’Rokh, Destroyer of Worlds – Archeology
- Blade of the Fearless – Revered with Tol Barad
- Oversized Oblique Ogre Obliterator – Quest: The Crucible of Carnage: The Twilight Terror!
- Wild Hammer – Grim Batol: Erudax
- Scimitar of the Sirocco – Archeology
- Dawnblaze Blade – 950 Justice Points [OFF-HAND!]
- Sun Strike – Halls of Origination: Rajh Koothrappali
- Resonant Kris – Lost City of Tol’vir: High Prophet Barim
I don’t know if I should write the Pre-Raid Gearing for Plate DPS and Hunters BEFORE or AFTER Patch 4.1.0. Both Zul’Gurub and Zul’Aman will have very nice drops that are supposed to help complete those item slots that you may be having a hard time obtaining in heroics. Hmm… I’ll let you all decide that. Comment and/or send me a message via Twitter, and I can decide whether to get that up ASAP for you all or move on to another topic until the new patch drops.
If you feel like investigating a bit more about Stat Priority for your spec, take a look at: