Launch days are always exciting! Today heralds the first day of the live version of MechWarrior Online! It seems like this one has been around for quite a while, so I did a quick search and found our first mention of it – November 1, 2011 we announced the announcement of this glorious giant robot beauty of a game. I’ve never actually been a fan of giant robots, but MechWarrior launches all sorts of nostalgic pangs as I remember the original BattleTech and BattleDroids from my youth. Now we get the MMO! There is something far more appealing to the idea of driving a giant robot when you can actually see it blow stuff up.
And to top off the excitement, Piranha Games and Infinite Game Publishing are hosting a competition next week in San Francisco where MechWarrior fans will be competing for prizes, glory and the thrill of the kill! I hope there will be lots of explosions. Giant robots and explosions just go so nicely together.
Sign up for the game, and download here! While you’re downloading or ppatching the live client, here’s a trip through
memory Giant Robot lane.
- Go back in time to read the first announcement of MechWarrior Online.
- Check out its appearance in GDC 2012.
- Relive the early excitement by watching the first gameplay video.
- Founders Packs are no longer offered, but here’s a reminder of the FOunder perks and goodies.
- Watch the early winter and weather effects and how they affect combat.
- The Centurian makes its debut here.
- Caustic Valley put a real hurting on giant mechs with environmental pain.
- The Atlas reveal video.
- Community concerns delayed the launch of open beta.
- Open beta content trailer includes big explosions!
- Mechsgiving and the Catapracht mech makes its appearance.
- Christmas giving brought 3 new mechs and a new game mode.
- The Spider Mech crawls in to play.
- Death Knell Mech and Bitching Betty voicing.
- The Pretty Baby Mech, scoreboard and Death Screen bring more excitement.
- A new map, Alpine Peaks, is introduced.
- Testing Grounds and Cicada X-5 Mech arrive.
- A donation drive is for the Canadian Cancer Society is launched. All proceeds from sales of the Sarah’s Mech skin for the Jenner Mech go to charity to honor Cancer victim.
- Cancer Charity Sarah’s Mech broke $100,000.
- Third Person Perspective arrived with the Launch announcement.
- The Protector Mech video.
- Watch the Competition when it happens! MechWarrior Online Twitch Channel