What’s that noise you hear? It’s the rattling at the “front gate,” i.e. the Wizard101 login screen. See, that gate has been locked for some account holders whose accounts have been banned due to in-game exploits. And that humming noise behind the rattling? It’s the dull roar of approval for Kings Isle from the players who have honored the terms of service and, as such, are still enjoying life ITS (player shorthand for “In The Spiral”).
Like any MMO, Wizard101 has worked through its fair share of glitches. Some are truly harmless and gobs of fun. They don’t give anyone who uses them an unfair advantage in the game. Like walking through walls in the Massive Fantasy Palace, or standing under the bridge in Olde Town. Other glitches can be classified as exploits when someone uses/manipulates the glitches to their advantage. Fallon MoonGem classifies it like this:
“A glitch is an ‘oopsie’ by Kings Isle. An exploit is when someone uses the glitch to get 400 MegaSnacks to sell them for lots of gold at the Bazaar.”
Oopsie! Fallon MoonGem got awfully specific there, didn’t she? She didn’t define it, she used an example. That Fallon MoonGem, she’s such a scamp!
A glitch crosses the line to an exploit when a player uses it to his or her benefit in terms of enhancing their game experience in terms of improving their performance, increasing their in-game currency (gold), obtaining items for in-game currency that are intended to be available only for cash (in the case of Wizard101, gold versus crowns), or otherwise using the glitch to unfairly benefit their own play experience and/or diminish the play experience of another person.
Phew! What a mouthful!
- Kings Isle is taking away our First Amendment Rights!
- Kings Isle is going to lose customers over this!
- It’s Kings Isle’s fault for not finding and fixing the glitch before it went live!
- If Kings Isle wasn’t so greedy we wouldn’t exploit the glitches!
Here are the short answers to those silly arguments:
- Kings Isle owns they game, and that means they get to restrict speech as they see fit. Go read the U.S. Constitution, if you even know what that is.
- Kings Isle is not greedy. Kings Isle is a for-profit corporation. If you think they charge too much for their product, (Wizard101) then don’t buy it.
*In a move that was patently unfair to monthly subscribers, Kings Isle caved on the 18+ Open Chat loophole, allowing those F2P players who had benefited from the glitch on the game website to keep their 18+ Open Chat ability.