Gear farming is the end game for many World of Warcraft players. Blizzard has made the journey to level cap more interesting and enjoyable, but most of us hang around for the raid encounters and the loot they bring. There’s that notion of challenge as well, but I digress.
Before we get in to which specific items are easy to obtain, let’s gloss over the statistics on gear that are important to healing priests. We all know that stamina, intellect, spirit, mastery, haste and critical chance are important, but not all stats are created equal. The specifics are a matter of specs (stamina isn’t listed since all gear contains it fairly evenly).
Discipline: Intellect > Spirit > Mastery = Critical = Haste
Holy: Spirit > Intellect > Mastery = Haste = Critical
Rule of thumb: If it’s a cloth item and it is lacking Spirit, it’s for DPS spellcasters. Trinkets and rings would be the only exceptions.
During our journey to level cap there’s a few things priests can do to ease the farming pains later on. Obviously, there’s little gear we can get during the early stages of the push that will be useful later. What we can do is focus our questing on the factions that hand out the best priest-based healing gear.
Click the Read More button for the full list of armor and weapons that will put you over the avg ilevel barrier (329) to enter heroics.
Cataclysm brings each faction six reputation grinds. Grab their respective tabard as you meet each faction quartermaster:
- Baradin’s Wardens (Alliance): Shimmering Morningstar (Revered), Mandala of Stirring Patterns (Exalted)
- Dragonmaw Clan (Horde): Nothing
- Guardians of Hyjal: Cloak of the Dryads (Honored), Arcanum of Hyjal (Revered), Cord of Raven Queen (Exalted)
- Hellscream’s Reach (Horde): Shimmering Morningstar (Revered), Mandala of Stirring Patterns (Exalted)
- Ramkahen: Ammunae’s Blessing (Honored)
- The Earthen Ring: Pendant of Elemental Balance (Honored)
- Therazane: Lesser Inscription of Charged Lodestone (Honored), Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone (Exalted)
- Wildhammer Clan (Alliance): Nothing
Now the hard part, farming normal dungeons for the rest of the gear you’ll need to break past ilevel 329 and enter heroic dungeons. Not all dungeons are created equal. Only dungeons that offer highish ilevel gear (316+) are listed. Best of luck on getting what you need!
- Stonecore: High Priestess’ Signet (Quest/Finger), Dolomite Adorned Gloves (Hands), Prophet’s Scepter (Off-hand), Tear of Blood (Trinket), Tendrils of Burrowing Dark (Trinket)
- Vortex Pinnacle: Caliph’s Band (Quest/Finger), Ring of Frozen Rain (Finger), Leggings of Iridescent Clouds (Legs), Amulet of Tender Breath (Neck), Rainsong (Trinket)
- Halls of Origination: Solar Wind Cloak (Back), Anraphet’s Regalia (Chest), Hekatic Slippers (Feet), Band of Life Energy (Finger), Kibble (Finger), Scepter of Power (Main Hand), Blood of Isiset (Trinket), Soul Releaser (Two Hand)
- Lost City of the Tol’vir: Veneficial Band (Finger), Evelyn’s Belt (Waist), Oasis Bracers (Wrist)
- Grim Batol: Azureborne Cloak (Back), Gale of Shadows (Trinket), Wand of Untainted Power (Wand), Crimsonborne Bracers (Wrist)
Check out this post to locate all of the dungeon entrances.
It may suck attempting to farm all that gear and constantly losing drops to greedy mages or warlocks. Thankfully, there’s a good chance that you’ve collected enough Justice Points on your way to level 85 to score at least one piece of guaranteed gear from the “badge” vendor (Alliance/Horde). I suggest saving the points to the end to fill in any possible hole(s), like an off-hand. Here’s what is in store for cloth healers:
- Neck: Celadon Pendant (1,250)
- Waist: Belt of the Falling Rain (1,650)
- Head: Gloves of Purification (1,650)
- Chest: Musk Rose Robes (2,200)
- Shoulder: Summer Song Shoulderwraps (1,650)
- Off-hand: Apple-Bent Bough (950)
Dungeons, Justice rewards and factions may not fill in all of your slots, but the various blues you pickup from questing during the end-game zones should be more than enough to raise your average above the requirement. Be sure to finish those long quest chains, they reward the best gear.