Hey Lore Hounds!
You see, I’m melancholic person, so now that Wrath of the Lich King is coming to an end, I’m looking back and trying to remember all the things that I’ve gone through these 2 years. If I recall correctly, I started playing World of Warcraft about 2 months after WotLK was released. I haven’t had any breaks since then, so we could say that I have seen pretty much everything this expansion had to offer.
There’s one question I’ve been asking myself for a while now. Did I enjoy this expansion? For the most part, I did. There were a few things I did not like at all, though.
At first, I wanted to write one article per major patch, but then I realized that Cataclysm is only 15 days away from our beloved characters, and, by that time, I’ll have a lot of new things to cover — so I decided to combine them all in one uber article.
- Level cap raised to 80: I didn’t experience it, but a few friends told me that the simple fact of earning XP once again was extremely amazing.
- 10m/25m separate lockouts: I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t have raided much if 25m had been the only available mode.
- Naxxramas is back!: Not many were the ones who managed to experience the 40m version of Naxxramas, so Blizzard decided to revamp it and introduce it as Wrath’s first raid. Amazing background and storyline.
- Not so heroic Heroics: The 5-man heroics were way too easy. It looked like the only thing Blizzard did was raise the bosses Hit Points. The fights were exactly the same as regular mode, just longer. Not cool.
- Hero Class – Death Knight: A brand new class was introduced with WotLK, the Death Knight. Using new resources such as Runes and Runic Power, the DKs climbed their way to become one of the most popular classes in the World… of Warcraft.
- Inscription: This primary profession allowed you to create glyphs, which quickly became something mandatory to be able to maximize your DPS/Healing/Survivability.
- Barber Shop: Weee!
- The introduction of Ulduar: One of my favorite raids so far. Not only were the bosses fun, but also the architecture of that place was simply beautiful. Plus, fighting against Flame Leviathan for the first time? Priceless!
- Hard Modes are Hard: It looks like Blizzard realized how awful the 5-man heroics were, so they decided not only to boost the bosses’ HP, but they also added lots of new mechanics that made the HM fights really entertaining.
- Dude, where’s my car Storyline?: Weren’t we fighting against The Lich King? I really liked the raid, but, in my opinion, it had little to do with “The Wrath of the Lich King.” Still, I could live with it.
- Dual Talent Specialization: Remember the times when you had to go back to your class trainer just so you could re-spec for a boss fight? Me neither.
- Bosses available only on Hard Mode: Algalon the Observer, also known as The Raid Destroyer, was the first boss ever available only on Hard Mode. What else can we say about Algalon? Oh yeah, he feeds on your tears! Om nom nom!
- Crusaders’ Coliseum: One Raid. Five bosses. Zero trash. As someone who had limited raiding time, I approved this raid. The bosses were quite entertaining — I really liked the Faction Champions. Now, the 5m instance was pretty challenging too, definitely harder than the other 5-Man dungeons.
- Isle of Conquest: I know, I said I was only going to talk about PvE, but this BG is fun! IoC and AB are the only BGs I actually enjoy, and that means a lot.
- Way too many Lockouts: A friend of mine is a hardcore raider. He and his guild raided ToGC10, ToC25 and ToGC25 during the week. Oh god, I can only imagine how painful that was. Ouch.
- Horses, so many horses: All the “Mount a horse, grab a lance and defeat your enemies without using your actual class skills” became really repetitive. It was fun, for a week.
- Instance Lock Extension: Not enough time during your week to finish an entire raid? Not a problem! This is such an amazing feature! Probably my favorite addition from Patch 3.2.0.
- Mount level lowered: Regular Mount at level 20? Epic Mount at level 40? Yes, please!
- Icecrown Citadel: ICC is probably the raid that has generated the most expectation in the entire history of the World of Warcraft. After all, the final boss is the one and only Arthas Menethil . With 12 bosses and a lot of lore, ICC could be considered as the culmination of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, which is the game where a good part of the current WoW players, including myself, come from.
- The Frozen Halls: Yes, The Frozen Halls are technically included with ICC, but these dungeons are awesome. Linked by one epic questline, these 3 dungeons made you feel like you were actually involved in the story.
- Skipping CoS Roleplay: I know right?
- Strength of Wrynn/Hellscream’s Warsong: You see, I have a Love/Hate relationship with this buff. I talk trash about it and it talks trash about me, but every time we see each other, we fall in love once again until the raid is over. I got my Kingslayer title with this buff, but whenever I go to Dalaran and see a considerable number of 80s with the title, my heart breaks a bit. It feels like the buff has cheated on me… with SO many people!
- Cross-Realm Dungeon Finder: PuGs used to be quite common, but after patch 3.3.0, they technically became the rule. Instant queue for the win! While I love the Dungeon Finder and it has helped me a lot on my characters’ leveling process, I won’t use it that much during Cataclysm. Why is that? Well, Heroic 5m dungeons are hard once again, so I’d rather run them with my awesome guildies (No, not you).
- Quest Tracking Features: I never liked QuestHelper; there were a few times when it went crazy and I ended up running the complete opposite direction than where I was supposed to go. I prefer Blizzard’s feature — it’s maybe not as complex as QH, but it gets the job done.
- Tutorial System: Okay, I don’t really USE the Tutorial System, but I’ve heard it’s way better than what it used to be.
I will miss Wrath of the Lich King, but at the same time I’m really looking forward to hitting level 85 and starting to raid once again!
What about you? What did you like/hate about this expansion? What will you miss the most?
The microphone is all yours.